Nice, Niceties and Notorious
Nice: A generic word often used to describe an average situation, person or place in life. Nice is not amazing nor is it terrible. It is a base line which we all walk on. It is also used when all other positive or negative words fail to describe a person, event, place. Eg. We had a crap time… would be replaced with nice as not to offend the people you hung out with.
To further explain the Theory of Nice in a geographic sense I have provided you with examples based on a holiday home. We replaced the real feelings of people with the word NICE and the list is a brief summary of what this statement could possibly mean.
It was nice. (The holiday home)
- It was old and decrepit house but the owners are really proud of it and allowed us to stay there for free.
- It was average and there was nothing to do and they didn’t even have Foxtell.
- There was only cheap instant coffee there wasn’t even a pod machine so our weekend was ruined because of this but if we admit this we would look shallow
- It was nice: I can’t remember as I was drunk most of the time and are not even sure where I slept or who with.
- It was nice: It was freaking awesome. spa, pool, basketball court, butler… we don’t want to give too much away or give it a great review because they may put up the prices if it becomes too popular and you might book in on the same weekend as us and then we’ll have to wait.
When talking about people here are some examples of what nice may mean.
She is nice. (or he) can translate into:
- She’s an absolute bitch. She is nasty and I’m not saying anything more in case it gets back to her and she hunts me down and tries to cause turbulence in my life. I will do everything to avoid her.
- She is so boring and I wanted to blow my brains out.
- She is is another world, another life, another timezone to me and although she is ‘nice’ I just don’t understand her and never will. It’s best to part ways now.
- I can’t remember her name and am not even sure who you are talking about.
- She is beyond nice. She is perfect and stunning and gorgeous and I want to marry her and become a lesbian because of her. I don’t want you meeting her because she will make me look below average and she might choose to be your BFF and all the ground work I have done so far will be disregarded.
The Theory of Nice.
If you hadn’t noticed the Temple catchphrase is to “Just Be Freaking Nice OK!!” We stand by this statement but wanted to expand on it.
To assist you I have provided you with a basic chart to assist you in understanding my theory.
I’m happy living a nice life but if it was nice all the way I don’t believe I would be fulfilled.
Nice is safe and an OK place to be. To aim for ‘just nice’ in your own life however for me, isn’t enough.
On the left you will see the bare minimum I believe you should aim for when it comes to your own life. Lots of nice moments but there has to be passion, fulfilment, dreams and there should be lots of freaking amazing moments.
By saying I’m happy living a nice life you are saying, I am happy living a neither extraordinary life nor one that involves too many deep emotions. I sit safely in the middle unnoticed and untouched by anything that great or that risky.
It is actually OK to stay on the nice area, as long as there is the appreciation to a nice life.
Now on the right is where our slogan: Just be Freaking Nice. OK!! originates from. We believe that if is not in your nature to be an inspiration or provide motivation to others, the bare minimum you should be is nice.
If you can’t support people, treat them with respect or be honest with them at least be nice.
Don’t ever allow a situation or person to bring out traits in the area below nice. While others may be rude, inconsiderate, jealous or plot revenge, they are missing out on the simplicity and rewards of being nice.
There. It is as simple as that and this is written proof of why I failed psychology. I have no interest in actual studies in the area, I believe I am right through my own thoughts on the basic requirements of nice.
So if someone pushes in front of you at the supermarket, tell them that it is rude. If they then spit in your face and call you an old cow you can either look at them and feel pity that they obviously lead a very sad, twisted life and the evidence is there that they are not nice.
If you say however: Hey you feral rude freak. Wait your turn. Don’t push in front of me or I will put a curse on you to be charged double for that chicken you’re scanning. Expect a more verbal, possibly violent reaction from them.
Why not try: Did you want to go first? I don’t mind. In a genuine tone and they may be left confused to if they were displaying their normal behavior or if it was your idea for them to go first.
Oh it’s getting too complex now.
Just be nice freaking nice OK!! We may change the world slowly by displaying good manners despite those who are not nice.
But make your own life awesome.
Peace and OMmmmni…